BIBS recognizes the important role that parents play in the education of their children and in our community. Thank you for making a concerted effort to the growth of our school and our children. We would like to keep you all informed about what’s happening at our school with the following updates. In the meantime, we wish you a very relaxing weekend!
Upper East Side Campus
UES Art Auction– Thanks to parents and students that have bought the tickets for the Art Auction. We are collecting permissions from the students to sell their work. Please talk to your child about how giving the art work away allows the opportunity for someone to buy it if they like it or want it- and this then is money given to the charity Candy Project to help other students get the chance to make art works or have a place to do crafts and play games with friends. Parents donating art works should be brought to the school next week and given to Jessie Ru (PA) with the deadline of next Friday 30th November.
Tuition Fees for Semester Two– This week, parents that pay tuition fees per semester were issued with their child’s Semester Two invoice- prompt payment is appreciated, the deadline for payment is the 30th November. Please be reminded that non-payment of the semester tuition fees will stop the issuing of the child’s report on 7th December.
LEGO Drive– A big thanks to students that are donating some of their Lego to the STEAM classroom. Well done to Grade 5 for putting in a lot of effort this week. So far, we have in weight: GK- 3.37 kg, G1- 5.34 kg, G2- 5.00 kg, G3- 7.43 kg, G4- 8.04 kg, G5- 8.61 kg
Food Allergies– On admission to BIBS UES, parents completed an admission form which has food allergies listed, please always contact the admission office to update this information if you discover your child has new allergies. Please note this is food allergies not preferences for food. The food provider, indicates ingredients that are high risk for allergies, eg. shrimp or milk (dairy products)
PTA Café Support- Thanks to the PTA Café for their support over these two weeks- they sponsored some morning tea items for the Staff Professional development days and they have sponsored the cups of Hot Chocolate for all the students and teachers on pajama day during literacy week. Thanks to all the parents and especially for those working in the café and supporting the UES learning activities this month.
Upcoming UES Dates & Events:
- 26th -30th November – No ASA week- No 5pm buses.
- 3rd -7th December – Block 2 ASA starts
- 5th December- Silent Art Auction (No ASA)
- 7th December- Reports Published on ManageBac
- 13th December- Student-Led Conferences Day (No ASA)
- 15th December- Shunyi Winter Bazaar
- 21st December- Last day of school prior to Winter Holidays- classes finish at 12 noon
- 22nd December-6th January- Winter Holidays
- 7th January 2019- Classes Resume
- 31st January 2019- Last day of school prior to the Spring Festival Holiday/CNY- classes finish at 4pm (No ASA)
- And….. 28th March (Thursday) UES Spring Show
MAP Testing:Measure of Academic Proficiency (MAP) testing for the MSHS will begin next week and run through until the winter break. Each MYP class will complete four tests over the testing period. There is no requirement for students to study, prepare or to bring anything for the test. If you have any questions about MAP testing please contact Mr. Stephen Pulsford (firstname.lastname@example.org)
DreamTime Celebration of Learning:At BIBS we encourage students to engage with hands-on practical activities. We provide all students time, resources, structure and guidance to pursue their dreams and discover their passions. DreamTime every Wednesday afternoon during semester 1 and this culminates in the DreamTime Celebration of Learning. Please save December 19th to come to see what our grades 6 through 9 students did for their projects. The real projects are on display, and you also have an opportunity to discuss the projects with the students. Should any parents wish to be judges for this event please contact the organizers, Nicolettelau@bibs.com.cn or Terrylinton@bibs.com.cn
Service Groups Update:Last week our GIN (Global Issues Network) service group was in full swing. Thirteen students across grade 7- 11 attended the annual Global Issues Conference held at WAB. Eight students in total helped plan a workshop that four students took the lead role and ran at the conference titled: The Sixth Wave: Will We Survive? What’s next for the group? The students will run this workshop for BIBS students during this week Science/Arts week. The goal is to bring more focus of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDG) to the BIBS community. For more information you can contact the group supervisor, Sheilah Grace at email@example.com or Jason Adams, the Service Action Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEAM Week:This week was STEAM week in the MSHS. Students took part in a range of activities and events throughout the week. The focus was on seeing the art in science and the science in art. The activities ranged from pottery and the talent show, through to science demonstrations and daily quizzes.
A huge thank you needs to go to the Science and Arts departments who put a lot of time and effort into making it an exciting and memorable week.
- 26 Nov-14 Dec – MAP Testing
- 10-14th December – IBDP Exam Week
- 13-14th December – BIEG Orchestra Practice
- 15th December – Winter Bazaar
- 19th December – Dream time culmination
- 19th December – Last day of school before winter break
We are happy to announce that we have successfully completed our first ever MAP testing in the ES at BIBS Shunyi. There are a few that will need make-ups in the coming days. This has been a wonderful team effort by the ES staff, our IT team and coordinated by Clare our Head of EAL and our PAs Linda and Allie. We as a whole have learned so much from this experience and are looking forward to the feedback. The results will help us develop our teaching and learning practices to better meet the needs of all our students.
This week Grade One went to the Sony Science Museum in Chaoyang Park. Students had the opportunity to explore light and sound through hands on learning experiences. For instance, students played with a device that changed the pitch of their voices and another device that used mirrors to change how they saw someone’s face. This field trip gave the students a chance to learn about light and sound, but it also sparked more interesting questions and student inquiries.
At our whole school assembly on Wednesday we focused on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM). The MSHS students gave us a wonderful insight into how these subjects can help promote the attributes of the learner profile. The assembly ended by the G2A students accompanied by Louis and Maria singing their proposed school song. They flung down a challenge to the other students to add to it in either English or Chinese.
On Wednesday, 2B had the opportunity to visit the students of BIK and read stories to them. The 2B students were very excited to step into the role of a teacher and read to them. It was a great experience, and the reading sessions were enjoyed by all. We cannot wait to do more sharing sessions with BIK!
The overall well being of our students is always at the heart of what we do on a daily basis at BIBS Shunyi. This week has seen an escalation in this area with the ES students receiving their flu vaccinations and physical health checks. We have also been insisting on students wearing warm clothes while playing outside at recess time and drying themselves thoroughly after they finish their swimming classes.
Dates for your diary;
- November 27th will be an ES Open House for new parents for next year.
- December 3rd to 7th ES Art week.
- December 4th ES Principals Coffee/tea morning in the ES canteen at 08:30am.
- December 6th will be an ES Open House for new parents for next year.
- December 10th to 14th Winter Festival week
- December 15th– Winter Bazaar.
- December 17th ES Winter concert.
- December 19th is the last day of school before the winter break. Students return to school on January 7th 2019.
BIBS Shunyi ES Team.
BIBS Co-curriculum Department
- YES Program
The Session 2 is now under preparation. Please take the time to fill out our questionnaire, which will allow you to provide feedback and suggestions.
If you child is in K-G5, please follow this link:
if you child is in G6-G12, please follow this link:
- USAD／USAP:A team has been set up for the USAD and USAP in Chengdu next February and our training will begin on 27th Nov. Please keep an eye out for the notice in our Wechat group.
- CCA:Online enrollment for the new MSHS six-week CCA has been completed. Students can check their registration and classroom information on the bulletin board in the hall on Monday, Nov 26. If there is any omission or adjustment, please go to office 217 at recess time.
The six-week CCA will begin on Tuesday, November 27 and students should follow the new schedule.
PTA PARENT WORKSHOP:Yesterday, there was a PTA parent workshop with approximately 30 parents in attendance to hear from our School Psychologist, Kerri Wang on the topic of ‘How to respond to your child’s needs’. The workshop was very informative and the efforts by our PTA members and Miss Wang to host this event are greatly appreciated.
STAFF PRFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT:On Monday, our staff participated in a 90-minute professional development workshop from 4:00-5:30pm and was provided by a qualified Applied Behavior Analysis Therapist from LIH Olivia’s Place here in Beijing. The workshop was titled Positive Behavior Support and it was very good to gain additional knowledge in this very important aspect of a teacher’s role and responsibility.
OPEN DAY:This Wednesday, our Admissions team hosted an Open Day. It was the 2nd of a number of Open Days that the School will be hosting and that are aimed at promoting the school and generating new enrolments. We would encourage all parents to speak with their friends and encourage them to consider enrolling their child for the new academic school year, particularly those families in Grade K and Grade 1.
- Next week we will be sending all Grades on Field Trips that connect with their current Unit of Work in the IPC.
- Kindergarten will be visiting Oco Park as part of their Unit of Work, “The Magic Toymaker’
- Grade 1 and 2 will be visiting the Beijing Science and technology Museum as part of their Unit of Work, ‘Our World’
- Grade 3 will be visiting a special fitness location as part of their Unit of Work, ‘Shaping Up’.
- Grade 4 will be visiting the National Museum as part of their Unit of Work, ‘Explorers and Adventurers’.
- Grade 5 will be visiting the Beijing Planetarium as part of their Unit of Work, ‘Active Planet’.
MUSIC IS ALIVE AT DONGRUN:This week, our students have experienced the joy and love of music and singing as the school choir performed several songs during this week’s assembly and then a special pre-organised “flashmob” made up of Grades 3&4 students sang a song unannounced during the meal time on Thursday to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. We are thankful for our music teacher who has been doing an outstanding job instilling a love for music and song with the boys and girls in our campus.
- November 27-30 – Grade-based Field Trips
- November 28 – Christmas Choir Performance at Conrad Beijing Hotel
- December 21 – January 7 – Winter Holiday break