Please find the following school updates for your information. We hope you and your family will enjoy a peaceful, safe and sunny spring holiday and Qingming Festival ahead. We look forward to seeing you all again on April 9th, 2018.
Upper East Side Campus：
Tomb Sweeping and Spring Break– Next week, BIBS closes for these holidays; we wish everyone safe travels and a relaxing break, we look forward to seeing you all back on Monday the 9th April.
ASA Block 3 Payment– Payment is due on the 16th April for the Block 3 ASA.
School Calendar 2018-19– This is now available from the reception desk at UES. This will be posted on the school’s website.
Annual Tuition Fees (2018-19)– The deadline for the annual payment for the UES tuition fees is the 8th April. Thanks to those that have made prompt payments already.
Family Fun Day– Please mark your diaries, the UES annual Family Fun Day is Saturday 21st April. This year we have planned the event around Earth Day, which is celebrated the following day across the world. More details to come from the PTA and school administration.
Labour Day & PD Days- Please be reminded that the school is closed 30th April-1st May for Labour Day holidays and the rest of the week there are no classes due to teachers professional days.
2018 Summer Camp: Summer Camp can be one of the most rewarding and unforgettable experiences for children.
English·Arts·Swimming·Table Tennis·Music·Filed Trips
Duration: 19th June 2018-July 13th 2018
Location: UES Campus, Shunyi Campus
Registration Deadline: June 1st 2018
Admissions: (8610) 5130-7951-UES
(8610) 6456-0618 – Shunyi
Contact Person: Secret Mi – firstname.lastname@example.org/ 6456-0618-121
This week at the BIBS Shunyi Campus we have marched on despite the weather.
- On Monday the last of the individual and class as well as department photos were taken in preparation for the Year Book among other things.
- On Tuesday, March 27th, our ES Librarian Heather Wright met with other librarians from international schools around Beijing at the quarterly Beijing Librarian Network (BJLN) meeting held at Beijing City International School. Heather presented her impressions of the ECIS Librarian Triennial conference she attended in Chennai, India over the CNY break, sharing information she learned about teaching information literacy, research-based library practices, and the joy of storytelling. The aim of BJLN is to provide opportunities for networking, professional development, idea and resource sharing, and friendship among Beijing’s school librarians.
- On Wednesday the Teaching and Leadership team met to discuss new initiatives to improve the internet system and communication within the school community. They also discussed an eating policy, how to enhance the level of collaboration, the groups essential agreement, how to expand the classroom managements strategies, how to encourage more student led inquiry and deepen the critical thinking within the ES.
- On Thursday we held an ES Open House for prospective students and parents. They were welcomed by Gavin and Ada and then listened to some African music from the students before setting of on school tours. After having some refreshments they were given presentations on the ES and the PYP as well as speeches from our students and the PTA.
- On Thursday the Grade One students went to visit the Summer Palace as a provocation for their new unit of inquiry about Places being valued for different reasons. To start with what the students think they already know is very important so that they can build on these authentic connections while researching other places around the world.
- Also on Friday the students had an assembly time activity to celebrate the Tomb Sweeping and Easter holidays, which are about to start. This was a great time for them to experience Chinese and Western cultures festivals and to make connections between them.
- Our ASAs continue to be a great success with some new additions and the splitting of some groups due to their size. The weather presented us with challenges this week but we have managed to work through them together to find solutions.
The BIBS Shunyi Campus Elementary School team.
Here is the advert for the upcoming show.
The annual spring show is nearly here! On April 19th and 20th, more than 40 students from PYP and MYP will take to the stage in “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”. The show begins at 7pm. Tickets are 60 RMB. You can buy the tickets from Mrs. Silvia Chavez on the UES campus; Mrs. Lynne Gray, Cheryl Courtois or John Mazuroski on the Shunyi campus. Come out and support the students and the Arts in what is sure to be a great time for the family. Tickets are limited! Don’t miss out!
THE ANIMATION SENSATION
This year’s annual performing arts production is called The Animation Sensation. It will take place on Friday, April 27 in the lower level theatre of the Century Theatre in Liangmaqiao. Teachers and classes have been very busy practicing their performance every week and making production plans for this special event. We encourage all families to make the time to practice their role in the performances during the holiday break.
We are looking for parents to support the school by requiring their children to attend school in their school uniform. This is more than just wearing a jacket or just the green shirt but applies to the whole uniform. There are a number of important reasons for this request. The first is that wearing school uniform helps train students in a disciplined lifestyle. The second reason is that it creates a sense of personal pride in their appearance and their school and thirdly, it helps our school to demonstrate a public identity both on our campus and in the community.
This week all parents should receive their student’s IPC report from their English teacher. This is a new addition to our reporting process and focuses only on the achievement in the IPC. Parents will notice that it does not include grades or comparisons to the rest of the class. It is a concise indication of the progress achieved in relation to the specific outcomes of the unit of work in terms of whether a student has reached a beginning, developing or mastering level of achievement in the unit outcomes.
DEEP LEARNING WEEK
Parents will have received a letter this week about the upcoming Deep Learning event taking place on April 23 & 24. As mentioned in the letter, parents are asked to support this initiative by helping their children gather information, resources and ideas at home. The success of the 2 day event will depend of the extent to which students are able to gather their own information and take ownership of their own learning. Parents can help them to achieve this by supporting them at home. More details are found on the Deep Learning week letter. We hope you enjoy the learning experience together with your child/ren.
Parents are reminded that next the Spring Holiday will take place next week on Monday to Friday with no classes during the week. The first day back for all students and all staff is Monday, April 9.
We will be having a photo day on Tuesday April 9 (straight after the holiday) for the benefit of all students who missed the last time we took photos and have recently joined our school. Wearing school uniform and a very neat appearance will be required for these photos.
Thank you to the PTA for their input and attendance at this week’s PTA Meeting. A productive meeting was held with presentations from our Art, Music and PE Specialist teachers answering various questions from PTA members.